MVHR stands for Mechanical Ventilation with Heat Recovery. MVHR systems are based around recovering heat that is already produced within the property. This latent heat is recovered from electrical appliances, including lighting, and from other sources such as bathrooms which has warmed the surrounding air. As a ventilation system is incorporated into the MVHR unit, air is drawn from each room and the heat is then recovered via an exchanger. Once this process has taken place, cleaner air, which has also had the moisture levels reduced, is circulated back throughout the property.
The benefits of installing an MVHR
- Removing moisture from the air reduces the risk of damp and condensation
- Cleaner, fresher air is beneficial to allergy suffers and can be argued to be more healthy
- An MVHR is an environmentally friendly and cost effective system to run
- MVHR systems can be used for both heating and cooling
Things to consider:
- Some older buildings may need to be checked for air tight levels and therefore may not be suitable for an MVHR unit, or may require improvements prior to installation
- Regular maintenance is recommended to optimize filter efficiency – this may vary between size and manufacturer
Here at Terra Therma we will be happy to discuss any questions regarding MVHR installation and we can provide competitive quotes. We are able to provide products from Airflow, Nuaire, Vent-Axia, Polypipe and others.