Top Ten New Year Eco Resolutions
New Year’s resolutions are usually little things we think we can do to make our lives a little better in the coming year. But rather than focussing on cutting out chocolate or spending time in front of the TV, why not look at eco resolutions? Resolving to improve your carbon footprint not only helps to save the planet, but to save you money too. Here are our top ten suggestions for things you can promise to improve upon in the New Year:
1. Switch off the lights when you leave a room, saving yourself money in the long run. (Why not switch to energy efficient bulbs, too?)
2. Only fill the kettle with as much water as you’re using, to save using unnecessary energy to heat water that isn’t being used.
3. Turn down the thermostat – just a couple of degrees can make all the difference, and will give you the perfect opportunity to try out those new socks you got for Christmas.
4. Reuse carrier bags when you do your shopping. It stops them building up at home and it’s super green too.
5. Take a hike! Instead of popping to the shop in your car, why not get in shape and help the planet by walking or taking a bike?
6. Try organic food – buying produce locally is often a lot tastier and economically friendly.
7. Experiment with eco cleaning products. When your washing up liquid runs out, simply replace with an eco-friendly option. They work just as well and are planet-friendly.
8. Recycle any of your unwanted plastics, glass and paper in recycling bins rather than throwing them out.
9. Try composting to not only help the environment but help your garden flourish too!
10. Recycle and reuse around the home! Get creative and transform jam jars into plant pots or storage for craft items.